Shedhorn Ski Mo
Saturday, March 18
The third annual Shedhorn Ski Mountaineering race comes to Big Sky Resort on March 18, 2017. This is a technical ski mountaineering race and is designed to test multiple skill sets in mountaineering, skiing, and endurance.
Discounted lodging rates are available. Call Big Sky Central Reservations (800) 548-4486 and mention Shedhorn Ski Mo.
Required Gear List
- Skis: Minimum length women-150cm; men-160cm
- Bindings: Toe and heel pieces must be same brand
- Skins: At least one pair
- 3 upper body layers: 1 layer must be a wind proof layer
- 1 lower body layer
- Beacon: Conforms to standard EN 300718 457kHz frequency
- Shovel: No snow claws. Minimum length 50cm
- Probe: No probe poles. Minimum 240cm
- Helmet: Must meet UIAA 106 or CE EN 12492 standards
- Eye Protection
- Ice Axe: Tentatively required
- Crampons: Tentatively required; must conform to UIAA standard 153 with at least 10 spikes.
- Whippet: Tentatively required
Due to the nature of alpine terrain, and the highly variable conditions that may be present during the day of the race, we have included a potentially required gear list that will be decided upon the morning of the race, as well as an A and B course for the SkiMo race. Come prepared with the entire gear list.
Required Skill Sets
- 4 alpine climbs with exposure over cliffs and/or above 1,200 ft avalanche paths with falls resulting in serious injury and/or death
- knife edge climbing
- 50+ degree boot packs
- 4 alpine ski descents
- Be prepared to ski 45+ degree terrain with ski/fall potential of up to 1,200 ft. Falls in these areas, depending on conditions could result in serious injury and/or death.
- This race course takes place between 7,200 ft (2,194m) and 11,166 ft.
- You will gain and lose 8,600' to 9,500' over 16 to 18 miles.
Schedule of Events
- 6:00pm: Pre-race meeting in the N. Mammoth room (Mountain Mall)
- 7:00am: Mandatory athlete meeting in the N. Mammoth room (Mountain Mall)
- 8:00am: Race Start
- 2:00pm: Shedhorn Grill cutoff - athletes passing the checkpoint past 2:00pm will recieve a DNF and will be required to go the base area.
- 5:00pm: Awards in the Mountain Village Plaza
*Venue and times are conditions permitting and subject to change*